Sunday 7 February 2010

david allen brandt - photographer

L3

davidallenbrandt

I admired and appreciated the works of Man Ray, Roland Penrose and Edward James to name a few, and find some of their works really fascinating. I have not heard of this photographer before, which includes a surreal series of romantic world-scapes combining people with urban structures in dreamlike ennviroments. This shows the benefits of researching Photography, even though you pass through many photographers work, and so many different ways of taking and making Photographs. I find that there are many images that that stimulate me, and I need all the time in the world to explore and create images of my own.

The decision David made to stop being “creative”; after a very lucrative rock and roll career, amongst others, seems to me to be strange. He would not be the first photographer to do this, but this decision seems to have inspired him even further. There does seem to be a path that every photographer takes, starting with the passion, taking similar images, expanding your profile, taking commissions, working to briefs, getting creatively bland, then working to what you want to do. The previous works being the catalyst and learning curve to your own distinct creation. So he has gone further ahead with his creativity because of this. I have included some simple images to show the difference between my current interest and my further development.

I have chosen this photographer after looking at his varied portfolio. Some match my intent on this phase of the course, the contrast imagery of his portraits, and the sports shots, are ones that I find inspiring. David has become a very versatile photograph with a great range of imagery, which cannot be included here. It is inspiring to see that he takes quite ordinary subjects and places and turns them into beautifully designed images. I think the design element of his images is truly remarkable; these in my mind make his images stand out, and are very watchable. The design element is something I have picked up on and will try to develop, as I consider myself to be a snapshot photographer at the moment, as I do not have the time to spend on this aspect of my images at the moment.

He has of course worked for some very prestigious companies and magazines over the years, as have many of the well known and innovative photographers since the invention of the photographic process. Two of my favourite images I have included are numbered 34, where the musicians are playing out of context, and the very sharp image of the golfer on completion of his swing numbered 15. Image numbered 14 also shows the character of the golfer, with the promotion of his sports ware.

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    as per the last comment, can you add a gallery or some images to add value to this entry please.

    steve

    ReplyDelete