Saturday 6 March 2010

Midweek shoot

I was talking to Liz about the shoes I had bought and I was looking for someone who had size 4 feet. Liz said she had and would be happy to wear them so I could photograph them. This led to an evening where I was photographing a "set", with Liz and David the main event. In discussions with Liz we came up with the idea of using the steamer chair etc and a theme developed. The scene was set as below(with Liz and David) as the basis of the shoot, with them both dressing up and opening a bottle of champagne! Great fun ensued, but the space was small, being a conservatory.
This was the start of the set up. I was able to set up in the afternoon, with Liz's help, and all was set for the evening, the basis of the theme, and my gear. I would have taken some daylight shots, but the batteries were dead on the camera. Thought-always check all the gear before you arrive at your shot, and carry spares if you have them.
This is the models in place.It was a tight shoot, and I had to use a wide angle standing in the door to get this shot. Pity I did not tidy the scene, I completely missed the edge details. I only had about an hour to capture the scene, so concentrated on getting the images. I learnt very quickly that it is very difficult to deal with shadows in this situation, and watch the background.
I really like this image of David, he really suits the transition to Black and White, and I think it shows his character. I like the simplicity of the shot. These are two close ups of Liz, and I like the colouring here. Two different poses and textures, and different lighting levels and positions. I would like to have eliminated the shadows. this was down to the positioning of the light, and I was paying more attention to getting the shot and missing the full lighting element.
This was taken at the end of the session, and I like the poses, but need to eliminate the shadows. As Mr Steve says, it's all in the placement and positioning.
These are a departure from my statement of intent, but I feel they are very relevant to the theme I have set for myself, and pose a different set of problems to overcome. The actual shoot was limited in time, I totally rearranged their conservatory and turned the living room into a tip, but my many many thanks to the two of them, as they responded to my actions and direction without question, and I am very grateful to them. You may well see more of these two in the future, I hope!

1 comment:

  1. These are relevant in that you are using the lighting and posing sitters, so they are valuable for ticking off the criteria on your sheets.

    steve

    ReplyDelete