Tuesday 2 March 2010

1st Studio session

L3
Here they are Steve, my first attempts, with some alterations to originals. I found that the subject was too close to the background, which has not come out black. Should have stood further back to bring Brent away from the background to achieve this. (crit by my son on this). Mr Steve pointed out that he felt the eys were not in focus on most of the shots. I don't know if they are here or not. I was using the college 5D, so a joy there, but had to get used to it.
Anyway, comments most welcome as to the technique and lighting please. Mr Steve has given me pointers in as much as to make my mind up what I want the viewer to see in my portraits eg golf club or person! Does this work as the club points to the subject in that image? I did use the snoot and the main light as well as the barn doors(separately of course).
first go image
original image with barn doors
B & w version with contrast adjusted, cropped and golf club added from better lit shot! on the club! Mr Steve says duel lighting is several steps forward of this lighting set up! ie using more than one light.
original image, with reflector to the left, with barn doors 40 degrees to right
crop of original to lose the "pinky". Had to get the light under the hat.
straight B & W conversion, needs contrast adjustment
This is getting better, contrast added and cropped further.
attempting a more fuller portrait, with barn doors.

6 comments:

  1. I like the one with the golf club, but I wouldn't have know it was one unless you'd told me. Really like the close crop with the hat too. Perhaps on the barndoor one you could have had flash higher, at a steeper angle with an increase in power...that make sense? What was the f stop and shutter on the original?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys,much appreciated, I did want to get detail in the image, but perhaps not quite as much, not bad for a first attempt though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am attempting am Art Deco shoot on Wednesday, daylight and artifical light, so wish me luck. the props will be outstanding, so hoepfully the photographer will be too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your second last b/w. did you have one without the hand? Same crop side but to include the chin. Jim came out with 'If you can, bend it' to apply to limbs, fingers etc. We can have a practice on Sunday. I have to stop myself calling it 'patient positioning'

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi
    Cn you start to label all your blogs as regards what criteria number you feel you are addressing, for example I feel this shoot should meet the planning criteria and others if you touch on choice of equipment.
    more info needed on kit and lighting plan as evidence of what you did.

    steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi
    Every time you do a photography shoot you have to plan it so the blog entry 2nd March first studio session needs to involve planning and preparation.
    This meets the criteria as labelled.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete